Also known as hand enhancement
The hands are the second most noticeable area of the body, yet we often forget to care for our hands the way we care for our face. Hands are one of the first places where the telltale signs of aging become apparent. Even if you have taken steps to keep your face and neck looking youthful, sun-damaged, veiny, wrinkled hands can make you look older than you are. There are a number of effective techniques to rejuvenate your hands, improving the quality and texture of your skin, while decreasing the wrinkling and prominent veins.
When to Consider Hand Rejuvenation
- If your hands have prominent veins and tendons because of volume loss
- If your hands are wrinkled and thin
- If your hands have age spots
If your hands would benefit from improved skin tone and color
Serrao Rejuvenation Center’s options for hand rejuvenation are outlined below. These can be used alone or in combination to enhance the overall results. Dr. Serrao will recommend an approach based upon your treatment needs and aesthetic goals.
Hand Rejuvenation Procedures
Click on the Link Below to Learn More
|Autologous Fat Grafting
|Re-injects your own natural fatty tissue into your hands to add volume, cover vessels and tendons and improve the quality of your skin over time.|
|Fillers||Fillers, such as Radiesse, can be used to add volume to your hands and fill in around protruding veins and bones.|
|Chemical Peels||A medical solution is applied to your hands to reduce age spots, fine wrinkles, skin discoloration and sun damage.|
|Intense Pulse Light (IPL)||A series of light based energy treatments to fade spots and discolorations on your hands|
|Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)||A solution is applied to your hands to remove sun damage and age spots before applying the light source for a more aggressive treatment.|
|Laser Resurfacing||A laser-based energy resurfaces the upper layer of damaged skin. As your skin heals, your hands will appear healthier and younger.|
|Medical Grade Skin Care||Skin care products designed to improve the overall appearance and texture of your hands.|
Many of these procedures require multiple treatments to give you the best result. You should allow time between treatments to permit swelling and bruising to dissipate. A combination of procedures might be required to obtain the best results for hand rejuvenation.
Dr. Serrao will discuss all of your options for hand rejuvenation based on your unique needs and concerns. If you are in good general health, have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure.
Hand Rejuvenation FAQ’s
What is Hand Rejuvenation?
Hand Rejuvenation or Hand Enhancement is a treatment or a series of treatments that improve the overall appearance of your hands
How is a Hand Rejuvenation procedure performed?
Whether you require volume replacement, correction of sun damage or reduction of lines and wrinkles, Serrao Rejuvenation Center has numerous treatment options to choose from. Most procedures are minimally invasive with little or no downtime.
Volume Replacement To Treat Protruding Bones, Tendons or Veins:
Fillers – Radiesse
- The filler is injected into the hand at multiple locations.
- It is placed in layers at multiple levels to reshape and augment the hands.
Fat Injections (Fat Transfer or Autologous Fat Grafting)
- Liposuction with suction tubes (cannulas) is used to remove fatty tissue from areas of your body with excess tissue, such as the abdomen, hips, back or thighs.
- The fat is then processed for fat transfer and re-injected into your hands.
- The fat is grafted in layers at multiple levels to ensure that a smooth, linear deposit of fatty tissue is left to reshape and augment the hands.
- Tape is placed on the skin of the infiltrated areas and left in place for 3 or 4 days as a protective barrier.
Please note – You may not keep as much of the fat graft as other patients if you have poor circulation from vascular disease, diabetes, or chemotherapy or have a history of HIV or smoking.
Treatment for Fine Lines, Wrinkles, Discoloration, Sun Damage, or Irregular Pigmentation:
- A chemical solution is applied to your hands with a sponge, cotton pad or swab, or brush.
- Our medical aesthetician decides how long to leave the solution on your hands by carefully observing any changes in the appearance of your skin.
- With certain types of chemical peels, the solution may be “neutralized” after an appropriate amount of time has elapsed.
- No covering or after-peel ointment is necessary and you can expect little downtime.
- Your eyes will be covered for protection.
- The IPL hand piece is placed directly over the treatment area and light waves are emitted.
- After a series of treatments, the spots and discolorations on your hands will be begin to fade and disappear.
- PDT uses a solution on the skin before applying the IPL device that allows for more aggressive treatment.
- Recovery from IPL is similar to recovering from a mild sunburn.
- Your eyes will be covered so that your corneas and retinas are protected from the laser.
- A wand is passed over your skin and the resurfacing laser emits a very brief pulse of high intensity light that damages the upper layers of your skin.
As your skin heals, healthier, younger looking tissue emerges.
What does Hand Rejuvenation feel like?
Most patients feel minimal discomfort with any of the non-surgical procedures, such as fillers, for hand rejuvenation If you are having IPL or laser skin resurfacing, the application of a topical anesthetic will keep you comfortable during the short treatment that most describe as a snapping heat. Local anesthesia or IV sedation will be administered to you, should you decide to have liposuction with the fat transfer to your hands, your comfort level and safety are always our priority.
Where is Hand Rejuvenation performed?
John Serrão performs non-surgical Hand Rejuvenation in the office setting at Serrão Rejuvenation Center located in Orlando. Should you decide to have liposuction with the autologous fat transfer to your hands, the procedure will be performed in our accredited office-based surgical center.
How long does it take to perform Hand Rejuvenation?
Non-surgical options such as fillers, laser treatments and chemical peels can take 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the extent of the treatment. Liposuction with fat grafting to the hands can take 2 to 6 hours, depending on the number and size of the liposuction areas.
What is the cost of Hand Rejuvenation?
The cost of any procedure varies from patient to patient dependent on the level of correction that is needed. All of our fees will be discussed with you during your consultation and package pricing is offered. You will find our fees to be very fair and competitive for the Orlando area.
Several financing options are also available at Serrão Rejuvenation Center. We welcome you to call our office for more details on fees and be sure to check our current specials.
What is the downtime of Hand Rejuvenation?
Immediately after the hand rejuvenation procedure your hands will be bruised, swollen, and stiff. If you had fat grafting, the donor site for fat harvesting may be sore and bruised as well. Dr. Serrao may recommend that you apply ice to your hands, stay out of the sun, and keep your hands clean. (DO NOT APPLY ICE TO FAT GRAFT ON HANDS)
Depending on the procedure performed, you can usually resume normal activities within hours or several days. A complete list of post-care instructions will be given to you and it is important that you follow all of the instructions for your hand rejuvenation procedure.
How long do the results of Hand Rejuvenation last?
Temporary fillers usually last from three months to one year. Fat grafts are usually longer lasting. Injections may be repeated when necessary and if you had a more superficial treatment like a chemical peel, Dr. Serrao may recommend a repeat procedure to enhance your results and maintain the appearance of natural looking youthful hands.
Patients with a history of impaired healing, such as diabetes, ongoing sun exposure, and smoking (or exposure to secondhand smoke) will see a less dramatic initial result and a shorter lasting result.
Who is a good candidate for Hand Rejuvenation?
A person who desires a more youthful appearance of their hands should consider hand rejuvenation. If you are in good general health, have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for the procedure.
How do I learn more about Hand Rejuvenation?
If you are considering Hand Rejuvenation, contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about the treatment. Dr. Serrão will listen to your concerns and expectations, perform a complete assessment, and educate you on the options that you have based on his expert recommendations. Together, you will develop a treatment plan that will fit your lifestyle and budget. You may chose to schedule the procedure at the time of your initial consultation, or you may decide at a later time. The consultation is about 30 minutes to one hour and any fee (if applicable) will be applied towards the procedure or any purchase in our practice. Whatever your decision, it will be our pleasure to assist you in any way that we can. We look forward to meeting you!